Friday, January 28, 2011

Passport

Don't ever take your citizenship or proof of citizenship lightly.  Right now I am trying to get my passport renewed.  I didn't think it was going to be this hard!  First the pictures I had taken were too big (37 mm instead of the 31-36 mm required... the photographer said my hair was too buffant!!!  imagine) so after I fixed that problem they said they needed more ID in my married name (since all my Canadian ID except my current passport is in my maiden name).  So I searched for two more pieces of ID with my married name and turned that in.  Now they are telling me that I have to produce my marriage license!!  Strangely enough, I did carry my marriage license around with me while I lived in the US, but when we packed up for Niger I put it safely in the lockbox which is located somewhere in Kokomo in one of the many places we have our stuff stored.  So I decided to phone the County Clerk's office in Kokomo to get a copy of our marriage license.  The lady I talked to on the phone was SO courteous and efficient, she even offered to call our church to see if someone could pick it up in person!!  WOW!  When I told my prayer group here in Niamey, someone asked, "did you live in a small town?"   I don't really consider Kokomo Indiana a small town, but it does have the small town feel and people often go out of their way to help one another.  So all this to say, that my marriage license is on its way here, hopefully it will arrive before my passport expires... we shall see...

1 comment:

Linda Watt said...

We even have our marriage license translated into French! That was needed with Alicia's adoption and we didn't have to go looking in our stored stuff. I also have a certified copy of it. :)